Joyful Ramblings of a Mommy of 3 Princesses!

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Avery Update!

Avery went yesterday to the hospital for a complete GI workup and suck and swallow study. The Upper GI ex rays were to check to make sure nothing in her intestines was causing the reflux, choking episodes, and lack of bowel movement on her own. The results were great. Her anatomy has no abnormalities. The suck and swallow study was to check to make sure she was sucking and swallowing correctly. That was good as well. She has a little delay in swallowing once the formula hits the back of her throat, but not a concern. She also does not have a problem with her muscles in order to produce a bowel movement. It is simply the Neosure formula constipating her. The feeding therapist believes the constipation and being back up may add to her reflux and vomiting and not being able to consume the amount of formula she should for her weight. So, the doctors said to keep her on the Miralax every day, and things should get better. The reflux will also get better with age and when she begins to eat baby food. I am relieved about those concerns. I have to tell you how amazing Avery was during the tests. I can't say enough about what a sweet and precious baby she is. The doctors couldn't believe she was not acting fussy during the procedures. She had not eaten in almost 4 hours. She was so hungry, but yet she was so cooperative. For the Upper GI, they strapped her to the table and turned her round and round and upside down like a rotisserie chicken. I am not kidding. I was behind a wall because of the radiation, but I could see the inside of her body on the tv screen. Very cool to watch the milk flow through her system. At one point the doctor was laughing and called me to come in for a second. He said she was so hungry that she was trying to eat the paper cloth they had her wrapped in, and yet when he laughed, she smiled at him. She is just so very sweet. I don't even know how to explain it. She is just precious. Today we go for the ultrasound of her head. We are praying for the doctors to find anything they need to find or not find! I will let you know. Thanks for your prayers.

No comments: